Category: Construction

Final Steps

Before exporting my video in an appropriate format, i decided to render my video in order to see how my project works so it plays smoothly.

Screenshot (49).png

Advertisements

E-mail

Here is the screenshot of the email that the protagonist receives. It contains details about her win and the rewards she has received. I created a fake gmail account with the email id: writersforum@gmail.com so that my short film went in line verisimilitude. The email the girl receives had been sent via this account.

Screenshot (3).png

Mise-en-scène

As I needed a test for the class room scene, I used one of my old English class assignments and deliberately put crosses on it with red marker to denote poor performance by the protagonist. The letter F represents a failed test. It has been encircled at the top which magnifies it. This formed part of my props.

1

 

Attached below is the image of the poster that I put on the glass board. It introduces the character as well as the audience to the writing competition. The poster has been designed in Microsoft Publisher due to the unavailability of any other design software in school such as Photoshop at that moment. As I had to match with the schedule of my main character, I had to design a poster instantaneously. Thus I tried using the available resources to save time and to get done with the work too.

2.jpg

 

Editing Process

SEQUENCE 

The first step that I took in order to edit my film was to create a sequence containing the relevant part of my shots. I marked in and out points on every clip to pick out the scene which created most accurate meaning. As soon as I shot a clip, I would quickly add it to the sequence which created a rough structure of the film. I later edited every single clip to sort out the sequence.

Screenshot (15).png

 

TITLE SLIDE 

After working on the sequence of my film, I worked on the main title slide which i added at the beginning. I watched tutorials to understand how to add title slides appropriately and learned about the selection of the accurate font. Premiere pro is a technical software which requires an in depth understanding of tools in order to execute the project. In this connection, YouTube tutorials helped me to understand the tools and their respective use.

screenshot-16

I decided to keep my title short so that the audience can easily read the text while the slide lasts. In a moving image, viewers generally rush through the text so that they don’t miss it and while they are reading through it, they often skip words so that they can complete reading the text in full. To avoid this, I decided to keep the text short and precise so that the audience can easily read and understand the title.

screenshot-14

 

SOUND

The next step in the editing process was to work on the sound. A added a combination of diegetic, non diegetic and voice over in my short film as it helped me make my short film more alive and real. I used three audio tracks in Adobe Premiere Pro because it simplified the management of tracks and allowed me to synchronize all sounds together.

Screenshot (13)

 

The source panel enabled me to work on waveform of every sound and helped me in the selection of the relevant part of the sound.

Screenshot (27)

 

I used three audio tracks to add sound to my film. The first track contains the voice over. The second track contains the diegetic sounds that i have added to the film to achieve verisimilitude. Finally, the third track contains the background music that runs throughout the film.

Screenshot (44).png

 

VIDEO EFFECT

To develop the feeling of a flashback, I decided to add a blur effect in between two of the clips. The first effect was added to blur in. The second effect on the second clip was used to blur out. To begin with, I watched a YouTube tutorial to learn how to use key frames in order to add the required effect. Key frames enabled me to adjust the blur on both the clips.

Screenshot (40)

 

I applied to my project what I learned from this tutorial and it helped me achieve my desired effect.

Screenshot (41)Screenshot (45)

 

Video Shooting

After thorough planning of scenes through storyboards, I finally decided to start the shooting process. With all the research and planning, rough drafts and video structures available, the shooting process took no longer than two weeks. The only problem that I faced while shooting was the unavailability of my main character for some of the scenes due to her tough art schedule. This resulted in postponement of certain shots. However, i still managed to complete the shooting process in time so that I could start with the editing. Here are some of the pictures of the video shooting process:

The pictures below are from the shooting of the second scene from the class room. I tried fitting the students in the frame so that i could capture the scene while I panned my camera from right to left.

The following pictures are from the fourth scene shot in the school corridor. Initially I tried adjusting the camera such that i could fit in frame all the students who walked in to read the poster on the notice board. Secondly, i tried to capture a close up of the poster so that i could reveal to my audience what the characters are so passionately looking at.